Saturday, November 10, 2007

Got Snow?

I'd like to put the blame for tedium of this layout squarely on the shoulders of Dani Mogstad! I bought her kick ass Winter Thrill kit at SSD, and I didn't really have anything special in mind for it...until I saw the zipper. Which then make me think "Ski Jacket!" and led to the unrealistic thought to hand quilt one of her papers to look more like a down jacket. *Shakes fist at Dani*

There was a nice plain black paper in her Halloween collab (Scared Silly) to use for a base for the quilting. So that was a start. Slapped on a diagonal grid on it (that would later be replaced with stitching) and got to work with the airbrush tool to give each diamond in the grid it's own amount of puff and some little tension puckers from the stitching. The ski lift tickets are just scans. (I'm a big ski nut.)

Paper - Kay Miller's Arctic Antics
Paper - Dani Mogstad & Jacque Larsen's Scared Silly
Paper - Dani Mogstad's Winter Thrill
Zipper - Dani Mogstad's Winter Thrill
Stitching - Me
Lanyards - Kim Jensen's Date Beads (shortened & modified a bit)
Snowflake Brushes - Michelle Coleman's Snowflakes
Lift Tickets - Me
Alpha - Me (below)

I didn't have the right alpha to use for it, so I had to make one. I figured with all the newspaper, map and whatnot alphas floating about -- winter needed one made from ski trail maps. (I wanted just to use the ones from Brokeback Mountain's ski trails, but I didn't think you all would find it as amusing as I do.)
Poke Here to Download (it will only be here for a limited time!)
If you use it, I'd love to see what you did with it.
Enjoy. I don't give a shit if you share it, just don't rip it off and claim as your own. Got it? Good.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Very cool alpha and I love the quilting on your layout - that is really incredible use of the zipper!

Tracy said...

Great LO! I wish I lived where I could actually ski so I could use this alpha, but Florida doesn't have many slopes!

anonymous said...

hey ! i just found your gallery at SSD ... sooooo cool! thanks for this alpha ... i've got ski pics from last april that i need to scrap so this should fit the bill :) (when i get around to doing the pages - i'll definitely let you know :) !!) thanks!