Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Day Without Art/World AIDS Day

Sorry everyone for having to dash on a moment's notice. I had to leave for the airport at 2am - which gave me less than 4 hours to pack. Sure, YOU might be able to pack in 4 hours. Me? Not so much. I've never been asked to do anything like this though.

Dec 1 is World AIDS Day and...Day Without Art - something I whole-heartedly support. I pretty much assumed that I'd be here in the city doing prep work for it, and watching confused tourists at museums, and going to a benefit or two. (I have some nifty shoes to prance around in.)

That was not to be. Got a call from a friend wondering if I'd be interested in helping with some of the prep work for the first ever London HIV/AIDS Conference (17 Dec - 19 Dec). There are also quite a few small events coinciding with the big conference that were trying to pull things together in record time. Being a poofy Brit, what could I say? For what it's worth, Virgin Airlines is a dream. How often can you say that about air travel these days?

I basically ended up doing bitch work. Nothing too fabulous. Many trips to the print shop. Then, many more. I didn't even have time to shop. No tea at Harrod's. Nothing. Zilch.

My hotel didn't have internet access, but I brought my laptop which had some of my favourite kits to work with. Since I don't do the pubs anymore, I sat in my room fiddling with layouts. I'll get those up today and tomorrow. Managed to avoid my mother too. I rang her up, but who knows where she got off to. It wasn't worth a train trip to Portsmouth to find out either.

(Above: A huge red ribbon made up of 6,000 red flowers in Parliament Square, representing the number of people who die every day from AIDS-related diseases.)

Layouts to follow...just transferring stuff from the laptop to the normal computer so I can fine tune and tweak. It's not as if I brought everything possible to work with. LOL. Just about 400 gigs of stuff. Not nearly enough!

1 comment:

Tara Sroka said...

Was wondering where you went off to. You may have been doing bitch work but it's still for a great and worthy cause. I applaud you and your efforts! =)